In other parts of the world, high school football is sometimes nothing more than Friday night plans but in Texas, it is almost a religion. There just is nothing like joining a roaring crowd cheering on your hometown players underneath those bright stadium lights.
There is no shortage of football hype in San Antonio and several schools in the area have nationally recognized football programs with dozens of alumni going onto the NFL. Big names like Trey Darilek, Bruce Collie, and Darryl Grant plus dozens more have all come out of San Antonio high schools.
We rounded up the public high schools in San Antonio with the top-rated athletic programs for football players:
- Bryon P. Steele II High School: Located in Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City ISD, Steele High School is one of the best schools for athletes in the San Antonio area. Football experts say Steele plays “big-time” football and the program has gotten really good quickly. Not only does Steele take the top spot in San Antonio, it also the 10th best high school for athletes in Texas. It also has some famous alumni such as running back Malcolm Brown, quarterback Tommy Armstrong Jr. and linebacker Ryan Simmons.
- Judson High School: One of the school’s favorite traditions is the Friday night football games according to student surveys. And attending games is fun, as the football team is known for winning. Located in Judson ISD, the school has made it to the championship game 11 times, winning six championships since 1983. They also hold the all-time Texas state record with 44 consecutive winning seasons since 1977.
- Reagan High School: At Reagan, football games and other sporting events are among students’ favorite activities at school. Like Steele, Reagan located in Northside ISD, has produced some famous names like Green Bay Packers linebacker Ty Summers, Minnesota Vikings quarterback Kellen Mond and former NFL quarterback Trevor Knight. If you’re looking for a big Friday Night Lights kind of crowd, Reagan is a great pick.
- Churchill High School: This North East ISD school is a hub for NFL players with several big names coming from the school. Former NFL players include Glenn and Lyle Blackwood from the Miami Dolphins and Seattle Seahawks respectively, Houston Oilers quarterback Cody Carlson and player and coach Alex Van Pelt. While it has been several decades since the football team won a state championship title, Churchill continuously has winning seasons.
- Alamo Heights High School: More than half of Alamo Heights students say that the football games are their favorite school tradition and it’s not hard to see why. The Harry B. Orem Stadium that sits behind the high school offers the perfect setting for some exciting games. Though AHHS has won just one football state title, they have had some big names come out of their program like Superbowl champ Patrick Bailey as well as Shawn Worthen.
Reach out to Kelley Martin of Ascend Elite Realty, a Top Producing agent in San Antonio, for additional info, or to sell your home, and find your dream home in the San Antonio area. Call Kelley Martin at 210-887-9392