It is officially back to school with many school districts welcoming students back into the classroom this
There are a lot of educational opportunities in the Alamo City. hundreds of publics schools
across 17 school districts, so there is a lot to consider when you think of where you want your child to
Last week, we gave you a list of some of the best school districts in the city, but with hundreds of
schools in some districts alone, it is hard to know what is the best of the best. Fear not, we decided
we couldn’t leave you wondering and compiled a list of the best public schools in the city too.
These lists of the top three schools for elementary, middle and high school comes from Niche, an online
platform that creates in-depth profiles on every school and college in America. Every year, they publish a
list of the best schools in the area for the year.
Looking at factors such as state test scores, college readiness, graduation rates, SAT/ACT scores, teacher
quality and more Niche ranks the schools using data from the U.S. Department of Education to analyze
key statistics along with millions of reviews from students and parents.
- Wilderness Oak Elementary School – Located in the North East ISD, Wilderness Oak serves over
600 students from kindergarten to 5th grade. About 80 percent of students are proficient in
math and reading. Parents say the staff are caring, compassionate and welcoming.
- Hardy Oak Elementary School – Similar to Wilderness Oak, Hardy Oak also serves more than 600
students in North East ISD. Hardy Oak has slightly better test scores with more than 80 percent
proficient in math and reading. Parents say that everyone on campus goes above and beyond
for their students.
- Woodridge Elementary School – Located in Alamo Heights ISD, Woodridge serves nearly 900
students from 1st to 5th grade. Parents say that the school offers lots of support and community
involvement for the students. It earns itself an A rating with 64 percent of students proficient in
reading and math.
- Alamo Heights Junior School – Alamo Heights is known for its great teachers who serve just over
1,100 students. At least 65 percent of 6th to 8th graders are proficient in reading and math.
Parents say one of the best things about Alamo Heights is the teacher involvement with
- Jose M. Lopez Middle School – There are 1,300 6th through 8th graders at Jose M. Lopez with more
than 75 percent proficient in reading and math. Jose M. Lopez has slightly bigger class sizes with
19:1 student-teacher ratio compared to other schools what have less than 16:1 ratio. But
parents say that the North East ISD school is a very academics focused school with lots of
opportunities for students.
- Bush Middle School – Also in North East ISD, Bush Middle School serves nearly 1,000 students
with a 17:1 student-teacher ratio. The students are at least 70 percent proficient in math and
reading and most parents and students agree that teachers give engaging lessons.
- Reagan High School – Located in North East ISD, Reagan High School earns high marks for its
teachers, clubs and sports for its 3,400 students population. At least 60 percent of students are
proficient in math and 84 percent are proficient in reading. Parents and students say there are
lots of activities to get involved in and many students enjoy going to the different sporting
- Johnson High School – Also in North East ISD, Johnson High School earns high marks for their
academics, diversity and activities. The 3,100 students are at least 78 percent proficient in
reading and math. Students and parents say that the school community is very welcoming and
- Brandis High School – This high school with 2,800 students is found in Northside ISD. Most of the
students are proficient in reading and math and the school’s extracurricular activities are highly
rated. Students say their favorite school activities are the football games and pep rallies. Many
also praise the support from teachers and staff.
Reach out to Kelley Martin of Ascend Elite Realty, a Top Producing agent in San Antonio, for more details on each community these schools are located, and others or to sell your home, and find your dream home in the San Antonio area. Call Kelley Martin at 210-887-9392